[Coral-List] Are coral reefs really doomed?

Alan.e.strong alan.e.strong at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 18 12:15:08 EDT 2012

First the "Rates"...next the "Actuals"!!

Al

On 7/18/2012 12:07 PM, John Bruno wrote:
> In response to Alina's point (below): we indeed have come quite a long way since 2001. Emissions rates in China are increasing, but they are decreasing for many other nations (the US, Canada, across Europe and S America, etc). http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jan/31/world-carbon-dioxide-emissions-country-data-co2
>
> Green technology, economies, the deployment of renewables, etc have advanced enormously over the last decade. Yes, CO2 emissions have not stabilized or declined and we need to get to stabilization in the next decade, but I think there is a chance we will. (not promising anything here…)
>
> jb
>> Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:38:37 -0400
>> From: "Szmant, Alina" <szmanta at uncw.edu (mailto:szmanta at uncw.edu)>
>> Subject: Re: [Coral-List] Are coral reefs really doomed?
>> To: John Bruno <jbruno at unc.edu (mailto:jbruno at unc.edu)>, "coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov (mailto:coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov)"
>> <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov (mailto:coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov)>
>>
>> So the question then is, are we anywhere closer to coming to global agreements about control of greenhouse gas emissions now that we were 11 years ago (2001 Coral-List thread)? I do not think that the treaties signed since then indicate any progress. As some have already pointed out, the rates of greenhouse emissions have increased in past few years, the ice caps and glaciers are melting faster than models predicted, more species have gone extinct, etc. It's not just coral reefs that are in trouble, many terrestrial systems, especially the high latitude ones, are in just as bad a situation. I hope the optimistic powers that will make all of this reverse and go away start working doubly fast!
>>
>> *************************************************************************
>> Dr. Alina M. Szmant
>> Professor of Marine Biology
>> Center for Marine Science and Dept of Biology and Marine Biology
>> University of North Carolina Wilmington
>> 5600 Marvin Moss Ln
>> Wilmington NC 28409 USA
>> tel: 910-962-2362 fax: 910-962-2410 cell: 910-200-3913
>> http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta

NEW PHONE (NOAA) PLEASE NOTE  301-713-7198

**** <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< *******
Alan E. Strong, Ph.D.
NOAA Coral Reef Watch, Consultant
Strong Research, Inc. & IMSG
NOAA Coral Reef Watch Program
  e-mail: Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5311      WWB, Room 601-8
1335 East West Hwy            5200 Auth Rd
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226  Camp Springs, MD
    301-713-7198                 301-763-8102
            Fax: 301-713-3136
Cell: 410-490-6602