[Coral-List] Science and advocacy

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 19 16:25:13 EDT 2012

Doug Fenner revealed significant insight in his recent
post on science and advocacy. There were two points I
would like to reiterate for emphasis.

We need to work as hard as possible to keep the
science itself undistorted by external biases.

           And

Scientists as citizens, have as much right as any other
citizen to speak out on important issues, and they may
have more knowledge of the problems than the average person
on the street.  Society needs them to speak out.

I would only add that you as scientists undoubtedly have
more knowledge than the average person on the street and
society needs you to speak out in order to counter the
shameless misinformation being disseminated without similar
restraint by unprincipled ideologues.

    Regards,
     Steve