[Coral-List] Science and advocacy

Quenton Dokken qdokken at gulfmex.org
Thu Jul 19 16:48:09 EDT 2012

I agree with Magnus,  Gene does not owe anyone an apology.  Scientists do
walk a fine line between detached scientific investigation and advocacy.  I
do believe that scientists should protect their data and conclusions from
those who would distort the facts and truth of their scientific
investigations.  They should advocate for appropriate application of the
science they produce.  On the other hand, they must be disciplined enough to
not be stampeded by the emotions surrounding any issue.

The issue of bias based on funding is a discussion that will never go away.
The fact is that there is not adequate funds to conduct all the scientific
investigations that need to occur.  And, there is a loud voice in the U.S.
saying that funds should be cut from the already inadequate research pools
(i.e. the smaller government team)!  And, universities keep turning out more
young scientist to compete for the funds that do exist.  I believe that the
private sector will fund more and more research in the future.

Quenton

Quenton R. Dokken, PhD
President/CEO
Gulf of Mexico Foundation, Inc.