[Coral-List] Science and advocacy

Shortfin Mako Shark shortfin_mako_shark at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 08:04:35 EDT 2012

Science and advocay has been a great interest of mine having worked in all sectors (non-profit, state and federal government, and small and large corporatations). I have published a couple of articles in the past where I hinted that research is only conducted on species having the most economic value, which has sometimes bias the way researchers approach the problem. In fact, you won't get funded unless you meet the criteria of the funding agency.. For instance, I have seen some funding agencies focus on fishery impacts, while others only want to receive proposals on water quality. I learned a long time ago that if you work in the science world than policy is a very important aspect of how your work. Having worked for the primary state and federal agencies, you will not find to many agency folks voicing their own personal opinions. As agency staff they are required to wear many hats and are directed to be very careful with their own opinions; they
 represent the agency. Even if you work in the private sector, folks represent their clients, so sometimes their are confidential agreements in which the scientist cannot discuss the project or the potential results. I think many would be surprised what we actually know about our natural resources; some of that information is owned by the private sector through proprietary rights.

In the U.S., policy directs regulations, which is a balance between politics, stakeholder needs, general public, and science. Depending on the issue, the order can be alot different. In regards to advocacy, I have seen a huge transition in the universities since the 1980s when I started my academics. I will not name the universities, but some are graduating students that seem to be somewhat closed minded in terms of managing our natural resources. For instance, although I agree that MPAs are an appropriate appproach in some areas under pre-determined objectives, I have seen many young folks only advocating this as a management measure. Most biologists in my era grew up being recreational fishermen, divers, and hunters. The latest surveys indicate that recreational activities are decreasing, especially for some age groups (< 40 yrs old). Given these issues, I have personally seen advococy a problem in the working environment because some have
 pushed advocacy while in the work place. If you work for the agencies then you follow the regulations plain and simple. If you work for the private sector than you follow your clients needs. I started seeing these issues in the work place around 2000, so I started looking in where folks had gone to school and what that school was pushing. Although intelectual ideas and phylosphy is important, the universities have to teach the next generation that the real world often works on a different standard. I recently attended a large regional fishery management council meeting here in the U.S., which honored a past member for serving some 20 years. He received a reward and stayed for the meeting. Interestingly, as a member of the public, he made public comments about various management issues. I believe many were somewhat shocked on his comments given he could not do so while he was a member of the council. Science and advocacy is a great subject. If you
 guys are into sharks, take a look at the certain international universites.. They have graduated alot of students whose research focus is only at showing the decline of various populations; they rarely publish any work that showcases any potential solutions. Fishery managers already know the problems, they are looking for answers. I would encourage folks to re-direct your research at finding solutions; most of our natural resources (air, water, land) are facing many threats. If you can come up with solutions then you can direct policy and subsquently regulations.

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author.. If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.