[Coral-List] Science and advocacy

Glazer, Bob Bob.Glazer at MyFWC.com
Fri Jul 20 12:02:12 EDT 2012

The alternative on this list to advocacy is censorship.  I prefer advocacy.

Robert Glazer
Associate Research Scientist
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Fish and Wildlife Research Institute
2796 Overseas Highway, Ste. 119
Marathon, FL 33050 USA
305-289-2330
bob.glazer at myfwc.com
www.myfwc.com/research

-----Original Message-----
From: coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov [mailto:coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov] On Behalf Of Steve Mussman
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2012 9:19 AM
To: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
Subject: Re: [Coral-List] Science and advocacy

   It is most certainly hyperbole to claim that the coral list has been taken

   over by advocacy groups. But the question remains as to how scientists

   are supposed to "advocate for appropriate application of the science they

   produce" without fear of threats and accusations of impropriety. After all

   scientists, although highly trained to be impartial, seem commonly afflicted

   with all the frailties of human nature.

   And how many pinches of salt must be taken if the private sector comes to

   dominate future research funding? The only way to offset the likely effect

   would  be  to  envision  the  unlikely  prospect of the "fortresses of
   conservation",

   university  professors and government agencies armed with the level of
   resources

   required to adequately face the challenge.