[Coral-List] Coral heterotrophy vs autotrophy

Kaylee Smit kayles.smit at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 05:57:31 EDT 2012

Hi coral-listers,

I am doing my masters research on intertidal coral physiology. I am wanting
to determine whether there are shifts in autotrophy and heterotrophy in
corals. Without doing a feeding experiment, in what way can I use isotope
analysis to quantify changes in heterotrophy and autotrophy in the field,
without setting up an experiment. Would I use skeletal or tissue analysis?
And would it be possible to compare changes over seasons?

If anyone can point me in the right direction, or if you have some useful
literature for me, it will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Kaylee

MSc student,
University of KwaZulu-Natal