[Coral-List] 82 Corals Status Review under the US Endangered Species Act

Ulf Erlingsson ceo at lindorm.com
Mon Jun 11 07:58:19 EDT 2012

Everyone seems to take for granted nowadays that a "toilet" is a water closet. Yet this huge shift from disposing on sewage on land, to disposing of it in water, happened just in the last hundred years. The septic tank is kind of an emergency fix, allowing the use of a WC without having a sewage connection to a water body. The real problem is the disease agents in the feces, while everything else (urine, kitchen water, shower water) can be handled with little problem. The whole purpose of the WC was to get rid of those disease agents from land - and now it turns out they are disease agents also in the sea, surprise surprise. (Reminds me of the seal disease in the North Sea some years ago, turned out to be caused by a veterinarian on Greenland throwing dogs, puppies, in the sea to dispose of the carcasses after they suffered some disease; and so the disease spread to the seals.)

Maybe a better solution can be found if we revisit the original idea to use water to get rid of the feces from land. Maybe we should instead focus on developing acceptable solutions that allow #2 to be taken care of on land, disinfecting it, and if possible recovering at least some of its value as a fertilizer, thus decreasing the need for energy-consuming production of artificial fertilizers to feed the world. Especially in the Caribbean, because the real problem is not the Keys, since the Keys are at the downstream end of the system. The important part is the main body of the sea and its tropical ecosystem, a region with significant poverty still.

Ulf Erlingsson