[Coral-List] Extraordinary aggressive behavior in bumphead parrotfish

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Mon Jun 11 11:47:49 EDT 2012

Thanks for posting this. In the late 70's and early 80's I spent hundreds of
hours snorkeling among these giants in the Philippines Indonesia, and Papua
New Guinea. They seemed to treat me like one of them. They would bob down to
feed while I dove down occasionally to investigate unusual marine life.
They would often rotate tail-up and crash down on corals -- especially
Acropora palifera, whose growth seemed to be inhibited and shapes modified
due to the constant attention. They always dove with open mouths, crunching
very noisily as they bit off large chunks of coral. I never once saw them
use the forehead to smash coral. However, the bumps did often seem to show
signs of collision.

By the 90's the big ones were very hard to find. They are too easy to spear.

I am glad someone has now documented that the males butt heads. Fortunately,
they did not mistake my mask for a head bump.

Cheers!

John