[Coral-List] ECOBIOBALL??

Mark Tupper mtupper at coastal-resources.org
Wed Jun 20 12:33:28 EDT 2012

   Hello Listers,

   Iâm a bit surprised that with the torrent of responses Abbie has received,
   nobody has actually addressed her specific questions. We all know that
   seaside golf courses cause eutrophication from fertilizer runoff, and that
   eutrophication has been demonstrated to damage coral reefs. However, I think
   the accusations of âgreenwashingâ are somewhat off-base because Albus Golf
   is  actually  a  technology  company that specializes in manufacturing
   biodegradables for the sports and leisure industry. They are not in the
   business of building golf courses.

   Anyway, Abbieâs specific questions where (1) whether the fish food contained
   in this golf balls will be equally safe for freshwater or marine fish, and
   (2) whether the release of fish food from a degrading golf ball will affect
   fish behavior. Related to the general issue of eutrophication, one could add
   the question (3) would these golf balls add a significant nutrient input in
   addition to the fertilizer runoff typical of seaside golf courses?

   The first question cannot be answered without knowing exactly what the fish
   food in the golf ball is comprised of. However, the majority of common
   aquarium fish foods can be fed to both freshwater and marine fish (Artemia,
   Spirulina, Tubifex, etc.). There are specific exceptions, but if these golf
   balls contain typical fish food such as used in the aquarium trade, it
   should be equally safe for both freshwater and marine fish.

   The second question probably depends on the number of golf balls that enter
   the water at a given course, and their spatial distribution. A total of 300
   million golf balls are lost in the water every year in the USA alone. So a
   seaside golf course is likely to put quite a large number of balls in the
   water. Typically, there will be one or two particularly challenging holes
   that will see the majority of lost balls. I could see this causing a problem
   with attracting fish to those specific areas. On the other hand, on less
   challenging courses where fewer balls are lost, an occasional feeding via
   golf ball might not disrupt natural feeding behavior.

   The third question probably depends on the first two, i.e. how many balls
   are lost and the nutrient content of the food inside. Information on the
   nutrient content should be available from the manufacturer.

   Lastly, I would be somewhat skeptical of any resort actually using the
   EcoBioBall for any length of time for the simple reason that it is a very
   poor performer. The EcoBioBall made quite a splash (pun intended) when it
   was  released  a few years ago, but it failed to catch on when golfers
   realized that a ball without an elastic core will only fly 60% as far as a
   traditional golf ball. So, serious golfers would lose about 100 yards off
   their drive. That fact will sink the EcoBioBall far more quickly than its
   environmental concerns.

   Cheers,

   Mark

   Dr. Mark Tupper, Director of Environmental Science
   Coastal Resources Association
   Head Office: 16880 87 Ave., Surrey, BC, Canada V4N 5J4
   www.coastal-resources.org
   Email: mtupper at coastal-resources.org
   Tel. 1-604-961-2022
   Philippines: c/o Ricky Mijares
   Poblacion, Sagay, Camiguin, Philippines 9103

   On Tue Jun 19 8:05 , nicole caesar sent:

     Hi Abbie,
     I'd like to commend you on posting your query first of all, as many
     education outfits operate in isolation, away from the available expertise
     and knowledge centers.  The responses that you've received so far are
     right on the money.  Coastal systems are delicate and ecosystem shifts
     occur suddenly and swiftly when nutrient balance and visibility are
     altered - either due to anthropogenic or natural impacts.  The only
     persons who may suggests that golf courses do not lead to eutropication
     are the golf course managers themselves.  Time and time again, we have
     witnessed and published on the ecosystem shifts that occur on nearby coral
     reef systems as the algae bloom in the newly nutrient rich waters.  The
     fish populations associated with the declining coral reef systems also
     decline. EcoBioBalls are proposing to add More nutrients to an already
     eutrophic system.  Based on past studies the impacts will be detrimental
     to the larger biota that we love to
     observe as humans/visitors, along with a shift in fish behaviour.  To get
     further information on possible impacts, it may be good to provide the
     coral list with the following information: what climate zone are the golf
     courses in question located in, characteristics of the adjoining coastline
     (shallow warm water, deeper cold water), are there reefs nearby etc.
     Congratulations to Albus Golf on their novel, misguided idea.  I do not
     recommend that it be implemented, and I volunteer to lead them on a field
     trip down to the Keys to educate them on the impacts on urban run-off on
     nearshore systems.  We can play some golf, i'll take them on a snorkel,and
     plop them down for a nice long informative powerpoint presentation in that
     order.
     Thanks,
     Nicole.
     Nicole O. Caesar
     M.S. Marine Science
     Recipient, USF Signature Research Doctoral Fellowship
     Board Member, Florida Chapter, AWRA
     Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Geography, Environment, & Planning