[Coral-List] 82 Corals Status Review under the US Endangered Species Act

Douglas Fenner douglasfenner at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 24 03:22:11 EDT 2012

I just noticed the last point in this message from Gene, in which he asks why no Millepora were proposed for listing.  I agree with Gene that Millepora are sensitive to bleaching, they at the top of the published lists of sensitivity to bleaching along with Acropora and Pocillopora.  Also I agree that some of them are important reef builders.

    If you skim either the petition or the report you will find that two species of Millepora were indeed petitioned, Millepora foveolata and Millepora tuberosa.  Both are Indo-Pacific species, both are rarely reported and have small ranges.  No Caribbean species was petitioned, probably because most are abundant and widespread in the Western Atlantic and have not shown strong decreases in abundance like the Caribbean Acropora.  However, M. striata is known from only a couple areas (Panama and Belize), and in Belize at least seems to be pretty rare though I certainly have only searched a small area of Belize.  It may be more common in Panama.  Anyhow, the report also considers a species that was not in the petition (probably because it is not known from U.S. waters), Millepora boschmai, a species that was known only from the Pacific coast of Panama.  It was known from only one site there when all known colonies were killed by the high
 temperatures in the 1983 El Nino.  Extensive searches found no remaining living colonies anywhere, and Peter Glynn published a note in Science saying it was now extinct.  Some years later another small group of living colonies was found.  Then those were all killed by the high temperatures in the 1998 El Nino.  Since then no living colonies there or anywhere else on the face of the earth have been found to my knowledge, although there were extensive surveys in Panama.  Subsequently some skeletons were found in a museum in the Netherlands that came from Indonesia, and which taxonomists decided were M. boschmai.  That suggests that it may well not be extinct.  However, I do not know that anyone has found any living colonies.  If someone has, please let me know, I would be very interested.  Local extinctions of corals in the Eastern Pacific are fairly common, I remember a paper documenting that, by Peter Glynn.   In any case, this illustrates
 more vividly than any other coral species I know of that it is possible for a species to be driven to extinction by high temperatures.  The temperature of the top layers of the oceans have been rising for some time and are predicted to continue to for a long time based on the best available science.  Rare corals with very small geographic ranges are particularly susceptible to extinction, and high sea temperatures can do it.  You will note that the report concludes that bleaching is the greatest threat to extinction of coral species in the future.  Acidification and disease were also rated highly threatening.
     References to the M. boschmai events are all listed in the report at the end following the evaluation of M. boschmai which follows the main references.  I note that the risk of extinction of M. boschmai was rated in the report much higher than any other coral.  I think I heard it suggested once that it was possible for NMFS to declare species endangered that were not petitioned.  They also don't have to be found in the U.S. to be listed.  This looks like a prime candidate for listing as endangered, if they decide that it is not in fact already extinct!  Note that to prove a species extinct you essentially have to prove the null hypothesis.  No can do.

Cheers,  Doug