[Coral-List] Extracting nematocysts from coral polyps

Hanny Rivera hrivera at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 29 12:40:06 EDT 2012

Hi Coral-listers,

I was wondering if any of you could point me towards established protocols
for extracting and isolating undischarged nematocysts from coral polyps.
Particularly, I am looking to extract them from newly settled spat, so
there would only be one polyp and perhaps a few small buds. Most of the
references I have found in the literature are fairly dated and are also
usually for Hydra or Jellyfish.

Thank you very much!

Hanny Rivera

Please note my new email address will be hrivera at post.harvard.edu

Hanny Rivera
Harvard College 2012 | Kirkland House
Organismic and Evolutionary Biology |Italian Secondary Field