[Coral-List] Rare "elkhorn-iike" Acropora on Arno

BRUCE CARLSON exallias2 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 16:42:21 EDT 2012

Dean,

The short answer regarding cultivation of fragments is definitely "yes".  The long answer as to "how" would take a lot of space here but I'm sure you can get good advice from many folks who are doing this.  But the general answer is to just secure the fragment in an "appropriate" location on the reef so they don't roll around.  It will re-attach itself over time and grow.  It's usually that simple.  You can attach fragments with marine epoxy, or portland cement mixed with some plaster of Paris, or simply secure them with cable ties (as they do on reefs in Cancun for A. palmata).  Ken Nedimyer cultures Acropora frags using the string method you mentioned.

Good luck trying to protect this unique Acropora!
Bruce Carlson