[Coral-List] Approaching game over/Audition to give a TED talk

Reese, Jessica Jessica.Reese at CZS.org
Wed Mar 21 13:47:34 EDT 2012

Sarah and listers,

I applaud your speaking out, and call to action. While Mel is correct,
"crisis" messages tend to build walls rather than bridges, I also
believe there is immense value in your passionate plea for action on the
part of scientists, particularly in this venue.

As an "environmentalist" who is just beginning her academic career,
solely for the purpose of educating people about how climate change, I
am heartened to hear that there are respected scientists who are
becoming more vocal about the situation. Jim Hansen does an impeccable
job of walking the line while being vocally active.
http://www.ted.com/talks/view/lang///id/1380

I hope, Sarah, with all my heart that your prescient 2016 13th ICRS does
not become a reality. Be assured that I am active, constantly speaking
with groups about oceans and climate change, and I plan on auditioning
to be a 2013 TED speaker to bring this message to a global audience. I
have passion, but not credentials, however. Therefore, those of you that
do, should apply too! TED talks will be auditioning unknown speakers for
2013. In fact, HALF of the speakers are going to be chosen through
auditions.

http://conferences.ted.com/TED2013/auditions/index.php

I would encourage coral reef listers to apply and frame messages in such
ways that are empowering, solution-oriented and encourage healthy
dialoge.

Peace,
Jess Reese
Zoology Graduate Student
Miami University of Ohio

Best Fishes, <))))><

Jess Reese

Interpretive Programs Coordinator

Chicago Zoological Society/Brookfield Zoo

3300 Golf Rd.

Brookfield, IL 60513

Direct Phone (708) 688-8861