[Coral-List] mysterious Tridacna mortality

Don Baker reefpeace at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 26 18:02:42 EDT 2012

Hi Bill,

I have seen this so many times in Sabah, North Borneo and Philippines - especially Tawi Tawi.  The poachers leave the clam shells on the reef and take only the soft portions.  They are free divers with sharp knives and they just cut out the soft part and don't bother to pry/hack out the shell (especially T. crocea).

Regards,
Don

PS:  To also take the shell in some countries poses as 'evidence' of poaching...so why get caught with shells on your boat?