[Coral-List] The myth of 100% coral cover

Eugene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Wed Mar 28 10:41:30 EDT 2012

Dear Listers, Thanks to all of you that responded to my rants re 100%
coral cover and geologic evidence. Here are two papers that discuss
the exposed Holocene coral reef in the Dominican Republic.
H. Lesdnsky, B. Titus, and D. Hubbard, 2012, Live coral cover in the
fossil record: an example from Holocene reefs of the Dominican
Republic. DOI 10.1007/s00338-011-0863-y (in press CORAL REEFS)

Greer, L., Jackson, J., Curran, H.A., Guilderson, T., and Teneva, L.,
2009, How vulnerable is Acropora cervicornis to environmental change?
Lessons from the early to mid-Holocene. Geology, v. 37, p. 263-266

We can conclude that based on geological observations 100% remains a
myth. What you see looking straight down on a live reefs is not the
same as what is preserved for the fossil record. Gene
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor