[Coral-List] Comparing diving destinations (SEA SNAKES)

Keven Reed reedkc at comcast.net
Wed Mar 28 22:28:09 EDT 2012

Hello again, Bastiaan,

    Not surprised you seldom hear 'free divers' called sea snakes and sea kraits given much consideration on the bulletin board devoted to coral polyp research and coral reef ecology, NOAA's coral-list.

    One, there are no sea snakes to encounter in the wild in the Caribbean and Atlantic oceans.
    Two, I've dove with people who would rather encounter sharks than snakes underwater for some unknown reason.
    Three, these underwater marine reptiles seem to be infrequently encountered on many coral reefs.  In Hawaii, for example, there is only one species that occasionally a fisherman nets: a yellow-bellied pelagic sea snake passing by in open water.  By the way the yellow-bellied pelagic sea snake in most texts for years was under the nomenclature, Pelamis platurus Stoliczka.  However, it was renamed (corrected) in 2003 in the scientific literature to Pelamis platura (Linnaeus, 1766), or Pelamis platura Bohme, 2003.

    FYI, there was a stimulating sea snake symposium with prominent researchers, past & present, at the annual meeting of the 2012 Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology held the first week of this year in Charleston, South Carolina, USA.

    Harvey Lillywhite at U. of Florida, Gainesville has recently done research demonstrating a paradigm shift:  apparently sea snakes do not drink seawater as previously thought--rather they seek out freshwater lenses.  Enjoy the following link in Science Daily:  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/11/081106153629.htm
    It's now believed even the pelagic Pelamis will die in sea water from dehydration after approximately three months if there is no rainfall on the sea's surface.

    Also, in our Coral Reefs journal (from ISRS) last year, Francois Brischoux et al. published about trophic relationships between fish and sea snakes on the coral reefs of New Caledonia.  See Coral Reefs (2011) 30:155-165.
    Additionally, there have been a couple "Reef sites" in Coral Reefs journal in recent years:  Highly venomous sea kraits must fight to get their prey.  Coral Reefs (2010) 29:379
  and
A sea snake wearing green velvet.  Coral Reefs (2005) 24: 403

    I used to insure we had antivenin (antivenom) for elapids/sea snakes in our pharmacy in southwestern Japan.  We purchased it from CSL  Australia.  We never had to administer it during the eight years I lived in Okinawa, despite frequent encounters with sea snakes underwater there.

    Ming-Chung Tu is a senior sea snake biologist out of Taiwan, FYI.

    Hope this helps,
Keven

Dr. Keven C. Reed
Fleming Island, FL 32003