[Coral-List] Decline in Caribbean Coral Reefs

Rudy Bonn rudy_bonn at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 16:43:09 EDT 2012

New research by Scripps indicates through coring and carbon dating that reef decline, off of Panama anyway, coincides with land clearing practices for the construction of plantations that occured as far back as 1900 and that together with overfishing started the decline of these reefs especially with regards to staghorn corals and certain molluscan species.  Not related to climate change, but we are still the ones at fault, they also go on to say that its apparent that most governments have not really begun to control GG emmissons, but we can at least address land use and sustainable fishing practices now!  Cheers, Rudy

Rudy S Bonn
Director of Marine Projects
Reef Relief
631 Greene Street