[Coral-List] Whitening coral skeleton

David Obura dobura at cordioea.org
Thu May 3 12:29:40 EDT 2012

Hi Safoura,

it's easy to bleach corals with a mixture of bleach and fresh water - it depends on the strength of your bleach what works best, but probably 1:1 for very mild bleach down to much less bleach relative to water if you have industry strength bleach. Bleach itself does not damage the skeleton (just the tissue), so you don't have to worry about that.

You are likely working on Porites cylindrica, rather than P. compressa, as the latter is an endemic to Hawaii!! If you'd like to send a couple of photos I'll be happy to look at them, or check with someone more experienced in Gulf corals.

regards,

David Obura

CORDIO East Africa
#9 Kibaki Flats, Kenyatta Beach, Bamburi Beach
P.O.BOX 10135 Mombasa 80101, Kenya
www.cordioea.org       //      www.iucn.org/cccr
Mobile: +254-715 067417
Email: dobura at cordioea.org; davidobura at gmail.com