[Coral-List] Job Opening: Coral Reef Monitoring Biologist, Saipan, CNMI
rachel.zuercher at crm.gov.mp
Sun May 13 21:29:53 EDT 2012
I would like to announce a job opening for the Coral Reef Monitoring
Biologist at the Coastal Resources Management Office (CRM) in Saipan, CNMI.
Please pass this opportunity on to your contacts and to any qualified
candidates who may be interested. Position details are as follows:
POSITION AND SALARY:
Coral Reef Monitoring Biologist; $42,000 P/A
Office of the Governor, Coastal Resources Management Office (CRMO)
This position will serve as Coral Reef Monitoring Biologist at the Coastal
Resources Management Office. She/He will be responsible for leading
implementation of the CNMI Marine Monitoring Team (MMT) coral monitoring
research, data collection and analysis. The Coral Reef Monitoring Biologist
will also be responsible for certain grants management tasks regarding MMT
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Write, submit and manage the CNMI annual US Coral Reef Initiative
(USCRI) Coral Reef Ecosystems Monitoring Grant and coordinate with NOAA
Center for Coastal Monitoring and Assessment (CCMA) to assure the
requirements of this grant are met in a timely manner.
* Submit semi-annual reports, as required by the USCRI Coral Reef
Ecosystems Monitoring grant including information on completed activities,
conditions of surveyed coral reefs and management recommendations for
identified problems in the marine environment.
* Coordinate actions between the CNMI local regulatory agencies
including Division of Fish and Wildlife (DFW) and the Division of
Environmental Quality (DEQ) in support of the CNMI Long-Term Marine
* Establish new monitoring sites and develop appropriate sampling or
survey methodology as necessary.
* Maintain and update a marine monitoring database for sharing with
NOAA and other members of the US All-Islands Coral Reef Task Force (USCRTF).
* Develop accurate maps indicating the location of monitoring sites
and areas of special concern for reef health or biodiversity.
* Supports CRMO with other marine biology-associated tasks including,
but not limited to, permit review, site damage assessment, permit site
inspection, or research to address management issues.
* Conducts other related duties as assigned by the CRM Administrator.
Master's Degree from an accredited university (U.S. Australia of Europe) in
marine biology or related field, plus four (4) years of experience in
tropical marine biology including field research, lab work and knowledge of
local biota and culture.
.. Advanced dive experience, seamanship, and ability to carry out
monitoring methods (including equipment set-up) in a marine environment
* Experience in interagency coordination, project management and
* Excellent writing, verbal, and computer skills
* Willingness to travel as required
For questions or clarifications, contact David Benavente at (670) 664-8303
or d_benavente20 at hotmail.com.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to rita.chong at crm.gov.mp by
4:30 pm (CNMI/Guam time) on 31 May 2012.
CNMI Coastal Resources Management Office
PO Box 10001, PMB 59
Saipan, MP 96950
Phone: (670) 664-8316
Fax: (670) 664-8315
Please consider the environment before printing this email.
More information about the Coral-List