[Coral-List] Goliath Grouper encounters

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 2 12:42:56 EDT 2012

Dear coral-listers
Just wanted to share some extraordinary encounters with a charismatic coral reef fish we almost lost to extinction: the goliath grouper.
We dove a wreck at night, in southeast Florida during this year's spawning aggregation season. We were fortunate to have a couple of filmmakers on board who produced this video, including the text provided in You Tube.
The 6.5 minute video is not addressed to scientists but to the SCUBA diving community. An example of reaching out beyond academic research.
I'm the diver with a yellow bandana around minute 5.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Ho87oiUo4

You can learn more about goliath groupers in my recent paper
http://grouperluna.wordpress.com/2012/10/12/guilt-free-goliath-groupers/

Enjoy

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D. Independent ScientistTwitter: @GrouperDocBlog: http://grouperluna.wordpress.comhttp://independent.academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres