[Coral-List] Cyanobacteria outbreak

Billy Causey billy.causey at noaa.gov
Fri Nov 2 14:07:45 EDT 2012

Thanks for sharing your observations Todd.  There seem to be many physical
parameters that come into play prior to and during a cyanobacteria
outbreak.  It is a symptom of a degraded system....and a foreboding warning
sign.  Take care, Billy

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Todd Barber <reefball at reefball.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> Cyanobacteria covering portions of the benthic substrate.
>>
>> I will let GP and Emma chime in here, but what we observed reminded me
>> of a similar outbreak of what appeared to be the same Cyanobacteria
>> (that's not what we called it then.... we simply  called it a
>> blue-green algae outbreak)
>> that occurred in the Florida Keys in 1986. It was a thick may, of
>> purplish algae that grew over everything, even the bare sand bottom.
>>
>> Again, thank you for sharing your observations.  I am going to be on
>> San Andreas week after next and will take a look on the reefs in that
>> area of the archipelago.
>>
>> Best wishes!  Billy Causey
>>

>> Billy D. Causey, Ph.D.
>> Southeast Regional Director
>> NOAA's Office of National Marine Sanctuaries
>>
>> 33 East Quay Road
>> Key West, Florida 33040
>>
>> Phone:
>> 305 809 4670 office
>> 305 395 0150 mobile
>> 305 293 5011 fax
>>
>> Email:
>> billy.causey at noaa.gov
>>

>> On Nov 2, 2012, at 6:03 AM, Luis Alberto Acosta Moreno
>> <laacosta at javeriana.edu.co> wrote:
>>
>> > Dear Listers
>> > Hello. In a recent expedition where we aimed to evaluate coral reef
>> state
>>  at the Providencia island, Colombian Caribbean, we saw an unusual
>>  cyanobacteria outbreak.
>> > The cyanobacteria fully covered the reef bottom (up to 50 cm high) as
>> well
>>  as the water column of some reef areas at the NW of the island (close to
>>  downtown). Different morphotypes also covered large areas of sand bottom
>> and
>>  seagrass around the island.
>> > I have some videos that I can share if someone is interested to help us
>>  with this environmental problem.
>> >
>> > Best wishes,
>> >
>> > Alberto Acosta
>> > Professor
>> > Biology Department
>> > Pontificia Universidad Javeriana
>> > Colombia
>> >
>> > AVISO LEGAL: El presente correo electronico no representa la opinion o
>> el
>>  consentimiento oficial de la PONTIFICIA UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA. Este
>> mensaje
>>  es confidencial y puede contener informacion privilegiada la cual no
>> puede
>>  ser usada ni divulgada a personas distintas de su destinatario. Esta
>>  prohibida la retencion, grabacion, utilizacion, aprovechamiento o
>> divulgacion con
>>  cualquier proposito. Si por error recibe este mensaje, por favor
>> destruya su
>>  contenido y avise a su remitente.
>> > En este aviso legal se omiten intencionalmente las tildes.
>> >
>> > Este mensaje ha sido revisado por un sistema antivirus, por lo que su
>>  contenido esta libre de virus.
>> > This e-mail has been scanned by an antivirus system, so its contents is

Billy D. Causey, Ph.D.
Regional Director
Southeast Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Region
NOAA's Office of National Marine Sanctuaries
33 East Quay Road
Key West, Florida 33040

Office:  305 809 4670 (ex 234)
Mobile: 305 395 0150
Fax:     305 293 5011
Email:  Billy.Causey at noaa.gov

Will Our Grandchildren Remember Us For What We Conserved and Protected or
For What We Let Slip Away?