[Coral-List] Goliath Grouper encounters

Martin Stelfox martinrstelfox at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 09:16:39 EST 2012

Dear Dr. Frias-Torres.

As you well know, Goliath groupers are classed as critically
endangered and are under immense pressure due to anthropogenic stress.
I think that the work and research you are doing is extremely valuable
for the future of the species, however, I do agree with Stacy on how
the species interaction is portrayed in the YouTube video.

I have worked on numerous conservation projects around the world and I
have worked with and educated many non scientific minded individuals
on current issues within marine biology. I think the most important
tool we have as educators is to take people on an experience that
completely removes them from what they are used to, bringing  in an
emotional experience that could change the way they perceive an
environment or trigger an interest which may be passed on.

To address the problem to SCUBA divers with footage of Goliath
groupers being touched by scientists I think sends out completely the
wrong message. For the average SCUBA diver, touching organisms is
something they do not consider to be a problem in the ecosystem - when
in fact it is. Unnecessarily   disrupting natural behaviour, not to
mention the potential hazard to individual divers by touching
something they shouldn’t. I agree that the video should be
reconsidered, as the target audience must understand that interfering
with an organism’s behaviour and physiology is both understudied and
harmful to the organisms and the individual.

Regards,

Martin Stelfox,