[Coral-List] Comments on encounter RE: Goliath Grouper encounters

Remy Okazaki rokazaki at rsmas.miami.edu
Wed Nov 7 11:05:08 EST 2012

1) Both you and Sarah use the same argument: there are worse things
happening to groupers/whales/dolphins, so touching them isn't bad. That
isn't really a justification.  For better or worse, we have to set
examples for others.
2) Les Kaufman wrote an excellent piece on whale captivity and the
aquarium industry:
http://coral.aoml.noaa.gov/pipermail/coral-list/2008-October/006400.html
Basically, the net positives of introducing these creatures to a greater
audience probably outweighs the cost of keeping a couple in captivity.
3) That said, I completely agree with your earlier email.  Seeing these
animals in the wild is amazing, and I'd probably be the last person to
exercise restraint and not touch whatever marine animal. I've found
holding a bulky camera housing generally helps with that problem.  :)

Remy