[Coral-List] Fwd: Excess algal symbionts increase coral susceptibility to bleaching

Alan.E.Strong (NOAA Affiliate) alan.e.strong at noaa.gov
Fri Nov 16 13:14:54 EST 2012

Jim,

Great/strategic thinking!!

Cheers,
Al

On 11/16/2012 11:28 AM, Jim Hendee wrote:
> From: Jim Hendee <jim.hendee at noaa.gov>
> Date: Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM
> Subject: Re: [Coral-List] Excess algal symbionts increase coral
> susceptibility to bleaching
> To: Billy Causey <billy.causey at noaa.gov>
>
> Billy,
>
>    Ever since you first told me (in the mid 90s) of the doldrums preceding
> bleaching in the FKNMS, we utilized wind in our CREWS software production
> rules for bleach forecasting, as well as light (less wind means greater
> transmittance of light through the water column, as well as less
> atmospheric oxygen reaching the seas). To us, it's not always about high
> sea temperature in bleaching, but sometimes high light pushing the final
> button on bleaching for corals stressed through high sea temperature.  (The
> physiological mechanisms are of course  complex.) Those constructs are
> still in place for all of our sites (http://ecoforecast.coral.noaa.gov).
> Your practical knowledge was captured back then and has proved to be a part
> many of the models.  You are immortalized in programming code!  :D
>
> Now, for the new extension of the CREWS Network in the Caribbean, my
> colleagues and I are talking of trying to add oxygen sensors.
>
> Thanks!
>
>    Cheers, Jim
>
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Billy Causey <billy.causey at noaa.gov> wrote:
>
>> Andrew,
>> Once again, you and your students are doing some cutting edge
>> research.  Congratulations to you and Ross!
>>
>> At great risk of generating a debate of some sort, I wanted to share
>> some thoughts pertaining to your findings in this current paper.
>>
>> Just prior to and during the massive bleaching in the Florida Keys
>> (1983, 87, 90, and 97-98) we had slick-calm, doldrum weather for weeks
>> at a time.  Prior to the onset of bleaching, the reef fish would
>> appear stressed (pumping opercula), as if there was low O2 in the
>> water.  The seas were slick, the water was hot, day and night .... and
>> everything was demanding O2 at night. Even the symbionts living in the
>> coral tissue.  Now, you have discovered that corals with more
>> symbionts are more susceptible to bleaching.  To me, that translates
>> to possibly meaning there are more symbionts demanding or using O2 at
>> night in the coral tissue.  I have always felt that the role of
>> dissolved O2, especially at night, was another factor that contributes
>> to triggering coral bleaching.
>>
>> Imagine, you are the tissue of a coral, stuffed with symbionts, and
>> the water is hot, DO is low, even during the day, nightfall comes,
>> photosynthesis stops at night, everything is demanding O in the coral
>> tissue, even the crowed symbionts.  This cycle goes on day and night
>> for the extent of the doldrum weather.  The coral tissue and symbionts
>> compete for O2, especially at night .... and soon something has to
>> give.  The symbionts are either expelled or consumed .... and
>> bleaching occurs.

> [...]

+++ PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW ADDRESS BELOW +++

**** <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< *******
Alan E. Strong, Ph.D.
NOAA Coral Reef Watch, Consultant
Strong Research, Inc. & GST
NOAA Coral Reef Watch Program
  e-mail: Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP)
NESDIS/SOCD/CRW -- E/RA3 - Rm 3252
5830 University Research Ct.
College Park, MD 20740

PHONE:  301-683-3339  Cell: 410-490-6602

(301) 683-3300 - General SOCD phone number
(301) 683-3301 - SOCD Fax