[Coral-List] Excess algal symbionts increase coral susceptibility to bleaching

Eugene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Tue Nov 20 14:59:40 EST 2012

Doug is right that most of the Asian dust crosses north of the main
coral atoll areas but I point out that the fertile red soil on the
Hawaiian islands is Asian dust. Asian dust travels a great distance
and a few years ago it blocked out the sun in Denver. The event made
the front page of the Denver Post  because so many people were
coughing, wheezing and experiencing red eyes. Asian dust has even
been detected in Alpine snow after circling the earth at least once.
Huge dust storms originating in Australia periodically reach the
Barrier reef and reach as far as New Zealand. Indonesia receives
dust, and smoke, from India as do the Maldives. Korea is sometimes
obscured on satellite images  by Asian dust. The Korean government
informs farmers to bring their livestock inside when the dust is
coming. It brings a strain of the Foot and Mouth disease virus. I
will admit that I spent 2 months on Enewetak atoll in the early
eighties and experienced the clearest sky I had ever seen..not even a
contrail was visible. Nevertheless there is abundant satellite
evidence that many atoll reefs, including the Great Barrier Reef see
their fair share of iron rich dust. Gene
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor