[Coral-List] CCMI Research Intern Position 2013

CCMI manager at reefresearch.org
Fri Nov 30 15:21:14 EST 2012

CCMI Research Intern Position 2013, Little Cayman Research Centre, Cayman Islands

The Central Caribbean Marine Institute has an immediate opening for a Field Research Intern whose primary role will be to assist with the research program at the Little Cayman Research Centre.  The Field Research Intern will assist in the collection of data on our various projects.  Other responsibilities include data entry, analysis, and report writing.

Research Intern Responsibilities include:

 Research & Conservation

Assist with collecting, processing, and archiving coral, fish, and algae data as part of the Long Term Monitoring Project.
Conduct lionfish surveys and dissections.
Collect, analyse and help write up our Grouper projects
Provide support for our Climate Change projects
Assist with maintaining and compiling data from the Coral Reef Early Warning System
 Additional Responsibilities

Assist Lab Manager with keeping labs and materials clean/organized.
Act as a Teaching assistant if needed on CCMI courses
Promote the field station to scientists
Assist with publications and grants
Deliver reef lectures and talks on Little Cayman
Assist the Director of Operations with other duties at the station
Qualifications: Intern should have prior relevant experience in coral reef biology research as well as excellent communications and writing skills. The intern should have data collection skills and be able to identify native Caribbean reef fish species while capable of working independently on a small remote island. Divemaster Certification preferred.  Hold an MS degree in marine related science.

Term: 6 days/week, full-time. 6 months

Compensation: Full-room and board at the field station on Little Cayman, $500 airfare reimbursement and a moderate stipend.