[Coral-List] CCMI Education and Program Coordinator Position 2013
manager at reefresearch.org
Fri Oct 5 17:51:22 EDT 2012
CCMI Education and Program Coordinator Position 2013
Little Cayman Research Centre, Cayman Islands
The Central Caribbean Marine Institute has an immediate opening for an Education and Program Coordinator to teach, develop and maintain education activities at the Little Cayman Research Centre.
We seek a well-organized individual with experience in teaching and managing education courses (from primary to university level). He/she must be an excellent communicator and educational advocate, with a M.Sc. degree in marine science and a divemaster level certification. The role requires recruiting, enrolling and maintaining relationships with students and education institutions, in addition to the teaching requirements. The success of this role not only depends upon a highly organised and engaged educator (with a passion for the marine environment) but the ability to develop the program efficiency and effectiveness at the Little Cayman Research Centre. He/she will have a unique opportunity of gaining education experience both with CCMI projects and visiting students.
The role is physically active as all the CCMI education courses include water activities and field-based land excursions. All CCMI staff also contribute to the daily running a remote field research station and will participate in the weekly challenges of living on a small island (activities include cleaning at the field station and barge/food pick ups etc).
The Education and Program Coordinator reports directly to the Director of Operations / Field Station Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Education Responsibilities include:
Lead instructor for all local K-12 programs (Ocean Literacy, Eco-Course Programs, Sea Camp and the Young Environment Leadership Course) and teacher workshops.
Develop and maintain our Local Ocean Literacy campaign
Teaching Assistant for all CCMI college courses.
Assist college students with field research internships.
Promote programs and recruit students for all CCMI programmes
· Compile all teaching materials to an Annual Program Disk.
· Establish a high-profile local (Little Cayman) communications and volunteer effort that disseminates information to local resorts and to the broad CCMI network.
· Lead conservation efforts providing information on important local topics including the lionfish invasion, grouper aggregation, and climate stress. Activities include
o Help organising the Reef Report lecture series offering monthly talks and activities at the field station,
o Maintaining the dollar-a-dive campaign on Little Cayman,
o Weekly talks at local resorts,
o Managing our Facebook, and
o Post new videos on YouTube.
Reports and Other Responsibilities
· Prepare Quarterly Education newsletter and monthly press releases. Document the activities with photographs and videos, survey results, testimonials, and summaries of each of the local educational programs carried out at the Little Cayman Research Centre.
Complete a final Education and Outreach Report for sponsors and board at the end of the season (August 15) with an assessment of the entry and exit knowledge gained by program participants.
· Assist the Director of Operations as needed on facility projects, tasks or maintenance
6 days/week, full-time
Probationary Employment: 3 months
Full 1 year work permit after probationary period.
COMPENSATION / BENEFITS:
· Salary commensurate with experience
· Room and Board at the research station (shared accommodations)
· Cayman Islands Health Insurance
· Two weeks vacation (on full permit) and Bank Holidays (Cayman Islands)
· Travel Reimbursement $500US
· MSc Degree - Marine Science related
· Divemaster or above
· Excellent communications skills
· Teaching experience and coral reef biology a plus
More information about the Coral-List