[Coral-List] Evidence for Porites surviving rising ocean temperatures?

Austin Bowden-Kerby bowdenkerby at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 21:00:59 EDT 2012

Hi Jessica,

From my experience, the genus Porites does in general tend to be quite thermally tolerant, being well adapted to nearshore and lagoonal environments, however many other genera also have thermally tolerant genotypes and/or symbionts.  I suspect that if you had visited that particular reef site within weeks of the bleaching that you would have seen a lot more diversity among the surviving corals- before post bleaching predation sets in.  What I have seen on multiple occasions after severe bleaching is that COTS, coralivorous snails, and other coral predators (which much prefer Acropora and Pocillopora etc. to Porites), tend to quickly wipe out the remaining colonies of their prefered corals when their food supply is suddenly reduced.

In my opinion the most effective post-bleaching strategy that can help the reef recover from bleaching and help the reef adapt to the impacts of climate change over the long-haul is to actively remove coral predators from patches of reef post-bleaching.  It may be possible to involve dive operators and resort staff in this activity, in effect creating a small army to help ensure that the thermally tolerant corals survive at least on patches of high value reef.

A parallel strategy would ideally sample fragments of the surviving corals more widely, with the creation of in-situ nurseries of the thermally tolerant corals, and to focus subsequent restoration efforts on these bleaching resistant coral/symbiont genotypes, trimming second generation fragments from the nurseries for replanting to restoration sites.  Please see my recent ICRS paper for more on this topic.

Thanks for your post,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
Suva, Fiji (679) 331-3377
Sustainable Livelihoods Farm (679) 623-1480
Cell (679) 938-6437
www.changemakers.com/node/93448

FW: Evidence for Porites surviving rising ocean temperatures?
      (Jessica Ward)