[Coral-List] Great Barrier Reef is rapidly losing coral

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 15:08:37 EDT 2012

For those interested in the problem of the decline of coral cover on the
GBR, you may be interested in a new web post by Terry Hughes entitled

"Crown of Thorns is a symptom of reef decline: let's address the cause."

http://theconversation.edu.au/crown-of-thorns-is-a-symptom-of-reef-decline-lets-address-the-cause-9932

-------------------------------

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Katharina Fabricius <K.Fabricius at aims.gov.au
> wrote:

> Dear Tracy,
>
> the Reuters article is a popular summary of the research; the original
> research by De'ath et al.  is open access, downloadable at
>
> http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/09/25/1208909109.full.pdf+html
>
> It is not only the 5 billion dollars income from the GBR to the Australian
> economy that is at stake here, but it is the ecological integrity of the
> Great Barrier Reef that is also at stake. We are fortunate that we now have
> 27 years of consistent monitoring data from the GBR. John Bruno has shown
> before that many reef systems around the world are not faring any better
> than the GBR, but most don't have the data to show such trends and their
> causes.
>
> The article outlines what needs to be done to try to halt and reverse the
> observed decline in coral cover. These are,
> * globally: increasing efforts to cut CO2 emissions (no surprises here),
> and
> * regionally: increasing efforts to cleaning up water quality, and
> developing additional new ways to actively intervene against
> crown-of-thorns.
>
> That may sound motherhoody, but the data show that there is still
> resilience left in the system, and coral cover would have actually
> increased by 0.89% per year during the observation period if it wasn't for
> COTS. So in this case, taking local/regional action can really make a
> difference. We can't easily stop the cyclones and bleaching, which have
> caused 48% and 10% of the observed losses; to reduce climate pressures will
> require global actions to rapidly decarbonise our economies. But in the
> meantime, our hope is that through joint scientific efforts we may be able
> to find a way to reduce the frequency of COTS outbreaks which have caused
> 42% of the observed coral losses. Potential solutions are to regionally
> minimise summer phytoplankton biomass (food for COTS larvae) through
> significant reductions in nutrients washed off the land, and possibly if
> we'll manage to find some effective means of direct intervention. Also,
> allowing fish stocks to return to levels where the fishes
>   are hungry and willing to eat all sorts of spiny, toxic and bad-tasting
> invertebrates would help to restore food webs hence ecological balances (no
> surprises here either!), - probably especially if that happened in areas
> where COTS outbreaks tend to originate in the first place.
>
> These are big tasks, and of course they are no excuse to not act against
> CO2 pollution at the same time. But if we don't face these tasks and if the
> present trend continues, we may lose again half of what's left of corals on
> the GBR (presently a mean of 13.8% cover) within the next decade.
>

> Regards
>
> Katharina Fabricius
>
> Australian Institute of Marine Science (www.aims.gov.au)
> PMB 3, Townsville Qld 4810, Australia

> [...]

Dept. Marine & Wildlife Resources, American Samoan Government
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA