[Coral-List] MA and PhD scholarships at University of Hawaii

Camilo Mora cmora at dal.ca
Mon Oct 15 16:47:19 EDT 2012

Hi Everyone,

My department is currently advertising for several MA and PhD
scholarships for students to join our department. We are looking for
promising and motivated students to develop cutting edge ideas while
enjoying life in the great island of Hawaii.

Those interested are encouraged to contact professors directly about
thesis ideas. In my particular case, I work with fishes, coral reefs
and biodiversity overall, and am particularly interested in students
with motivation to take on bold ideas and publish them in high impact
journals (our lab has now over 35 publications five of which have been
published in Nature and Science). Extended details of the research
interests in my lab can be found  in the web-page below.

Extended advertisement for the scholarship is provided below. Deadline
for application to our graduate program is January 15, 2013.

Thanks,

Camilo

--
Camilo Mora, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor

The Department of Geography at the University of Hawai‘i has a number
of funded MA and PhD student positions available for graduate study.

The University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa is one of only a handful of
land grant, sea grant, and space grant universities in the United
States and the only research intensive (R-1) university in Hawai‘i.
The Department of Geography celebrated its 80th anniversary in 2012
and currently has fifteen faculty members with expertise across the
breadth of the discipline. We offer MA and PhD degrees in
environmental/physical geography, human geography, and geographic
technologies. Over 500 MA and PhD graduates from our program have
pursued careers in academia, government service, NGOs, and in the
private sector.

The department has a mix of energetic young faculty and established
scholars that are at the cutting edge of research in their fields.
Faculty members have published multiple articles in leading
disciplinary journals such as the Annals of the AAG and Transactions
of the Institute of British Geographers as well as interdisciplinary
venues such as Science and Nature. Faculty also regularly win awards
for research and teaching, including two teaching awards in 2012 alone.

The faculty’s expertise, and the department’s physical setting, make
UH an ideal location for marine, coastal, climate, and Asia-Pacific
focused research projects. However, the department has graduate
students conducting research across the breadth of the discipline.

Department faculty expertise (full listings available here):

David Beilman - Biogeography, Long-term Environmental Change
Qi Chen - Remote Sensing, GIS, Environmental Science
Thomas Giambelluca - Climatology, Hydrology
Hong Jiang - Undergraduate Chair, Cultural Geography of the Environment, China
Reece Jones - Graduate Chair, Political Geography, Borders,
Globalization, South Asia
Stacy Jorgensen - Evolutionary Biogeography, Pacific and Hawaii
Mary McDonald - Economic Geography, Social Theory, Japan
Matthew McGranaghan - Cartography, GIS, Remote Sensing
Camilo Mora - Human Impacts on Marine Environments, Biodiversity
Mark Ridgley - Resource Systems and Decision Analysis, Water Resources
Alison Rieser - Fisheries Management Law and Policy, Marine
Conservation Law and Policy
Krisna Suryanata - Political Ecology, Food and Agriculture, SE Asia
Ross Sutherland - Associate Dean of Social Sciences, Geomorphology,
Soil Erosion
Brian Szuster - Environmental Impact Assessment, Marine Recreation, SE
Asia, Hawaii
Everett Wingert - Department Chair, Cartography, Remote Sensing

Department Highlights:

     The department has six separate labs for GIS/Cartography, Remote
Sensing, Hydrology, Spatial Genetics, Long-term Environmental Change,
and Coastal Geography. These labs provide computer resources for
students, research experience, and employment as graduate assistants.
     Our students regularly win research grants and awards from the
Ford Foundation, the Fulbright Program, and National Science
Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships and Doctoral Dissertation
Improvement Awards.
     The East-West Center, which is adjacent to campus, provides many
opportunities for funding and collaboration with other scholars from
the Asia-Pacific region.
     The university has an extensive library collection, including a
world class Asia Collection.
     Graduate students in the department are often funded by teaching
assistantships, research assistantships with individual faculty
members, and through fellowships from the East West Center (note the
early Nov 1 deadline:
http://www.eastwestcenter.org/education/student-programs).
     UH is located in the lush Mānoa Valley of Honolulu on the
island of Oahu. Honolulu is a cosmopolitan and ethnically diverse city
of approximately 800,000 with all the amenities of a large American
city.
     Hawai‘i’s climate is pleasant with year round highs in the 80s
(27-32 C) and lows in the lower 70s (20-24 C). Temperatures are
moderated further by the breezy trade winds.

The MA and PhD application deadline is January 15th to enroll in Fall 2013.
Our department website (www.geography.hawaii.edu) has detailed
information on the application process. For informal inquiries, please
contact Graduate Chair Reece Jones (reecej at hawaii.edu) or individual
faculty members who share your research interests.