[Coral-List] Using the 'air pik' method for removing coral tissue

Kaylee Smit kayles.smit at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 07:37:05 EDT 2012

Dear Listers,

I am a Masters student studying the physiological dynamics of intertidal
corals along the east coast of South Africa. In order to remove coral
tissue, it is evident that two main methods are commonly used: using a
water pik or a similar method of an air pik (or air brush). I have used the
water pik, but for various reasons I would prefer to use the air pik
method. Many papers merely state that they used an air brush/air gun/air
pik method, but with no further specifications.

Is there anyone, having used this methodology, that can elaborate on the
type of air brush/gun system that is used, what system it is connected
to and more importantly what level of pressure is required.

I would greatly appreciate any information regarding this process.

Sincerely,
Kaylee Smit
University of KwaZulu-Natal
Westville