[Coral-List] Nikon D70 Available

John Ware jware at erols.com
Tue Oct 23 12:04:48 EDT 2012

Dear List,

In my usual naive approach to life, I thought there would only be 1 or 2
most of the housing.  However, I have received more than 60 requests
thus far and the number is increasing.

Therefore, I am going to have to establish some rules or decision
criteria that I will use to make the final decision:

1- Private individuals will not be considered.  Yes, I know that many
who sent me e-mails are struggling PhD students (I was one once myself),
but consider Rule 2.

2- Laboratories associated with universities or non-profit organizations
are favored.  The reason for this rule is that those associations will
provide benefits to more than one person.

3- Groups in developing countries are favored.  Yes, I know that your
lab is also struggling for funding, but Miami is in better shape than
lots of other places.

It is also important for me to reiterate that, once you receive the
housing and the camera (plus some memory cards if I can find them), you
still need to provide:

a- A port.  I suggest the Sea&Sea 56101.  It is ~US$300 new but you may
be able to find one used somewhere.

b- A strobe and cord.  If you cannot find a used one, a strobe and cord
for this housing/camera will be about US$600 new.

c- A lens and associated gear.  I have found that a moderate cost Nikon
zoom lens (I use 28-80 mm) is a good utility lens for fish to pictures
of quadrats.  Your should be able to find a used one for under $US100.
 The gear is used to adjust the zoom from outside the housing.  The gear
will probably cost ~ US100 or less.

So, total cost to get started will be ~US$1000 although, by careful
shopping, or if you lab already has strobes and cords and lenses, cost
will be considerable less.

If this cost is beyond your means, there is no point in going further.

Sorry, but I can't control costs.
John

    *                      John R. Ware, PhD                    *
    *                         President                         *
    *                      SeaServices, Inc.                    *
    *                     302 N. Mule Deer Pt.                  *
    *                    Payson, AZ 85541, USA                  *
    *                       928 478-6358                        *
    *                      jware at erols.com                      *
    *                 http://www.seaservices.org                *
    *                   Member of the Council:                  *
    *            International Society for Reef Studies         *
    *                                          _                *
    *                                         |                 *
    *   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
    *     |\/__       Untainted by Technology            \      *

If you are a coral-reef scientist and you are not a member
of the International Society for Reef Studies, then
shame on you.
Become a member of the International Society for Reef Studies
http://www.coralreefs.org