[Coral-List] Gene Shinn's post of Walter Stark's article.

Michael Risk riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Fri Oct 26 14:57:41 EDT 2012

Hello Peter, listers.

Stark's piece did make sort of amusing reading, although one cringes with embarrassment at meeting statements like "reefs vary", duh. On the other hand, it was raining, and I had time on my hands.

But you bring up an important point. There are people out there who really believe we get rich from research grants. I think we could do a better job educating the public on this aspect (and many others). In most countries, the PI gets NO income. There is salary money for PDF's and grad students, but the levels are always capped. In the US, PI's can get "summer salary", an ancient holdover the universities have been in no hurry to update.

So we need to be up front about the amounts involved. No one gets rich doing ecological research.

Mike