[Coral-List] Remote sensing and the detection mangrove forest strips in the past

Hoang Son Tong Phuoc tongphuochoangson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 12:21:52 EDT 2012

Dear Dr Frank Muller-Karger

We can use the remote sensing technologies in conservation and
sustainable use of resources? A sample for mangrove forest
conservation.

Mangrove planting should be the last resort and only done where
mangroves have existed before. The objective should be to connect the
lagoon to the sea’s tidal influences by removing barriers and
permitting a more natural water flow. This will allow mangroves, which
recover easily, to regenerate naturally and avoid the buildup of
sediment in the lagoon and the consequent loss of fish habitat.

Replanting should only be considered where natural regeneration is not
possible (e.g., where seeds are no longer available). In India, MFF
(Mangove For Fulture) recommends a fish-bone “canal bank planting”
system for mangrove restoration in low tidal amplitude areas.

In Vietnam, Mangrove forest systems develop very well in coastal
regions of macro tidal Inlet as Mekong river (in southern side) and
Red river Deltas (in northern side). Beside, They also exist with
narrow forest strips in central region where coastal line is
roundabout  with  Micro-tidal Estuaries, Lagoons, Bays.

However, until now these narrow strips are almost  disappeared by
aquaculture movement and also other human activities for coastal
development. The reconstruction  the locations, area and specie
component where mangrove forest existed in the past time is very
important . They are basis for mangrove replanting in central region
of Vietnam. However, We are lacking the in situ data – field trips

The remote sensing techniques can support very well for this work. We
can collect the CORONA image (1968) or aerial photograph (1972) (with
high spatial resolution but grey-scale color) and Landsat MSS
imageries (with low  spatial resolution but multi spectral color).
They can be provide by USGS and/or NASA. By fusion techniques we can
re-construction a new images with high spatial resolution and  also
multi spectral color. The  mangrove forest strips in the past can be
detected directly from these images.

Beside the RADAR imageries (InSAR, PolSAR) can support additional to
detect the forest structure (i.e detection the difference on specie
component as Rhizophora  apiculata, Avicennia marina, Sonneratia
caseolaris, Nypa fruticans ,... ).

We have some examples on this matter but not whole regions.

Of course , could you consider my idea as a draft proposal (if possible).

Best regards

Tong Phuoc Hoang Son
Head of GIS & Remote sensing Department
Add: 01 Cau Da - Vinh Nguyen - Nha Trang City - Khanh Hoa Province - Viet Nam
Tel: 84-58-590553
Cell phone: 84-914176020

On 8/29/12, Frank Muller-Karger <carib at marine.usf.edu> wrote:

>    Dear colleagues:
>    Can we use our science and remote sensing technologies in conservation
> and
>    sustainable use of resources? NASA is interested in addressing issues in
>    biodiversity, sustainability and conservation biology using remote
> sensing
>    technologies. A group of researchers has been asked to work with their
>    different science communities to help define the top 10 questions for
> which
>    solutions would require remote sensing methods.
>    If  you  could,  please  send  ideas on questions directly relevant to
>    conservation  (and  specifically  not  on  questions  of technological
>    advancements) before September 15. If it is easier to provide input by
>    phone, let me know and let's coordinate a phone call.
>    Our specific guidance is that questions should be:
>    ·         dependent on remote sensing technologies to answer
>    ·         answerable through a realistic research design
>    ·         allow a factual answer that does not depend on value
> judgments
>    ·         address important gaps in conservation knowledge
>    ·         not formulated as a general topic area
>    ·         not answerable with “it all dependsâ€
>    ·         unlikely to be answerable with yes or no
>    Some guidance on what this group would be looking for can be found in:
>    Sutherland, W. J., Adams, W. M., Aronson, R. B., Aveling, R., Blackburn,
> T.
>    M.,  Broad,  S., Ceballos, G., et al. (2009). One Hundred Questions of
>    Importance  to  the  Conservation  of  Global    Biological Diversity.
>    Conservation Biology, 23(3), 557-567
>    Thank you very much for your feedback.
>    Best regards,
>    Frank
>    [1]carib at marine.usf.edu
> --
>
> __________________ FMK __________________
> Frank Muller-Karger
> Institute for Marine Remote Sensing/IMaRS
> College of Marine Science
> University of South Florida
> 140 7th Ave. South
> St Petersburg, FL 33701