[Coral-List] Rau, McLeod and Hoegh-Guldberg and ensuing discussion

Peter Sale sale at uwindsor.ca
Tue Sep 4 10:29:58 EDT 2012

Hi,
I just finished reading Denny Hubbard's reflections on how he, as a reef
scientist, is dealing with the likely CC and OA impacts on reefs
worldwide.  I had got to Coral-List right after reading Rau, McLeod and
Hoegh-Guldberg, and an editorial, "Clarion Call", in the same issue of
Nature Climate Change that suggested it might now be time for the science
community to become less reticent about articulating the risks of not
making intelligent decisions re Climate Change.  In fact, the editorial
stated, quite clearly, that the science community should advocate for
radical action on climate change.  Rau et al, in a 'perspective' article,
do take a clear position on the need to investigate novel ways of dealing
with the effects of climate change on marine systems.

I've done this reading in the middle of a discussion with several
co-authors on the degree to which we should advocate in the paper we are
now writing on the general issue of global change impacts on tropical
marine ecosystems and their provision of goods and services to coastal
human communities.  The opinions within our group range from 'science must
be dispassionate and objectively report the data' to 'it is way past time
to tell it like it is'.

My gut tells me the latter view is correct, but I also worry that we not
reduce expert science evidence to the level of 'just another opinion'.  (I
also want to see our manuscript published!) More generally, I think the
big question for the coral reef science community has to be, "How do we
report our science objectively and dispassionately while still being able
to express our considered opinions carefully yet explicitly?"  This is a
large part of the issue that Denny Hubbard is struggling with, and its one
many of us struggle with.  My own belief is that it should be possible to
structure manuscripts, presentations and formal testimony with clearly
separated sections: 1) Here is the science, and my objective evaluation of
the data, including conclusions logically drawn, 2) Here is my informed
opinion/recommendation based on my analysis, and my broader knowledge of
the topic.  So long as these two sections are kept separate, we should be
able to maintain our integrity as scientists, while still conveying our
opinions/recommendations to policy-makers and the public.

I'd be interested in what others think.  Given the increasingly dim
prospects for coral reefs surviving the Anthropocene, those of us who are
not automatons (nearly all, I hope) have a pressing need to help find an
effective way forward.

Peter Sale

Peter F. Sale
Assistant Director
United Nations University
Institute for Water, Environment and Health

www.uwindsor.ca/sale           www.petersalebooks.com
UNU-INWEH  The United Nations Think Tank on Water