[Coral-List] relatively urgent question regarding oil spill sampling

Mark Tupper mtupper at coastal-resources.org
Tue Sep 4 12:11:43 EDT 2012

Hi Mark,

Hopefully you got your answers already, but just in case:

For oil and grease the standard sampling container is a 1 litre amber glass bottle. For PAH and other volatile organics, the standard sample is a pair of 500 mL amber bottles (I think
it's one bottle for PAH and one for phenols and other VOC, but I'm not certain). The bottles should be pre-washed with acetone (or hexane/methanol). If you don't have access to amber
bottles, you could wrap clear glass bottles in aluminum foil, although that practice is frowned upon by some labs.

You should collect at least three samples per site (two duplicate samples and a third for analysis of matrix spikes - so that's three 1 L bottles for oil and grease and six 500 mL
bottles for PAH/phenols). Given that you're in the tropics, the samples should be put on ice as soon as collected and kept at 4 C. Ideally, 2 sodium bisulphate tablets should be added
to the PAH sample and either 5 ml HCl or 2.5 ml H2SO4 to the oil and gas sample as preservatives, but the samples should be good for up to 7 days without preservatives if kept at no
more than 4 C. It's a real pain to ship the preservatives internationally anyway.

As for sampling, just dunk the glass bottle underwater. Don't completely fill it. There should be some air left in the bottle when it's capped. Also, don't wear latex gloves when
collecting the sample - they could contaminate it.

As for the actual analysis, I send all my samples to ALS Laboratories. They operate worldwide. I don't have access to a lab to do my own analyses. The only problem with outsourcing
your analyses is that it's very expensive.

I would use glass petri dishes for the larval experiments.

Cheers,

Mark Tupper

Dr. Mark Tupper, Director of Environmental Science
Coastal Resources Association
16880 87 Ave., Surrey, BC, Canada V4N 5J4
www.coastal-resources.org
Email: mtupper at coastal-resources.org
Tel. 1-604-576-1674; Mobile: 1-604-961-2022

Philippines Office: c/o Ricky Mijares
Poblacion, Sagay, Camiguin, Philippines 9103
Tel. +63-927-921-9915

On Mon Sep  3  9:18 , Mark Vermeij  sent: