[Coral-List] Rau, McLeod and Hoegh-Guldberg and ensuing discussion

Rom Lipcius rom at vims.edu
Tue Sep 4 14:18:42 EDT 2012

Dear Peter and Colleagues:

This has been an issue with which I've struggled for many years while dealing intensively with blue crab and oyster restoration. The approach that I advocate is somewhat of a variant of what you suggested, but with some differences. Specifically, when dealing with management agencies, I set up not just one scenario, but a series of scenarios and their consequences.

For instance, on OA/CC I would set up a series of scenarios ranging from OA/CC is not significant to OA/CC is occurring at a very fast rate, and additional scenarios with low and moderate rates. Then, you set up the potential management actions, and consequences of following/not following the management actions/inaction. These are presented to the managers/public/etc.

From these, you as a scientist can identify which scenarios are most likely, their consequences, and your recommendations on the management actions. Here you can be as vocal as you see fit.

This approach is not unlike what we do with the null hypothesis table and type I/II errors. What are the risks of accepting/ rejecting a specific hypothesis if it is actually true/false? This approach has also been used in risk assessment for environmental pollutants, etc.

I also discuss these and my views with conservation NGOs, who typically take the extreme conservation view. This is useful because in my experience my recommendation is usually not as extreme, and therefore viewed as much more reasonable and acceptable by management and fishers than the recommendation of the conservation NGOs. This is a very useful partnership when attempting to influence restoration actions.

Gotta go, but I hope this helps.

Regards,
Rom

Romuald N. Lipcius
Professor of Marine Science
Virginia Institute of Marine Science, College of William & Mary
P.O. Box 1346, Gloucester Point, VA 23062
for deliveries: 1208 Greate Road, Gloucester Point, VA 23062
804-684-7330 (office), rom at vims.edu
http://www.vims.edu/people/lipcius_rn/index.php