[Coral-List] Crazy Ideas to Save Coral Reefs (Helder Perez)

Chelsie Counsell cwagner at bio.fsu.edu
Tue Sep 4 14:30:30 EDT 2012

Hi Everyone,

Working to include a bit more buoyancy control and reef conservation ideas
with the NAUI, PADI, etc. open water diver certifications seems like a
worthwhile piece of the puzzle to me.

When diving for pleasure, I have certainly been appalled to see fellow
divers grab on to corals including advanced divers, divemasters, and dive
instructors. I have seen them haphazardly toss anchors and even saw a dive
instructor break off and pocket coral because he found he was
under-weighted.

I believe this advocacy is very important. It will mean nothing if we do
not also work to combat and buffer the impacts of global climate change.
But the opposite is true as well, if we find a way to help the reefs
survive climate change, and yet leave divers ignorant of how delicate these
organisms are, we could still end up with no healthy reefs.

Great suggestion Helder Perez, lets move forward with this.

Best,
Chelsie Wagner Counsell

--
NSF Graduate Fellow