[Coral-List] Rau, McLeod and Hoegh-Guldberg outline strategies to brace for impact in the face

Michael Risk riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Tue Sep 4 18:42:54 EDT 2012

I came back from a bike ride to-day and had to dodge a herd (school? flock?) of about 50 wild turkeys on the road. I realised that if I ran into one of those suckers at my top speed of maybe 15mph I would not be sending in any more coral-list postings.

I could have the dates and numbers a bit skewed, but: a few decades ago, Ontario did a deal with Michigan. We ate all our wild turkeys 100 years ago, and they had shot all their wolves. So we traded them (I think) 6 wolves for 20 turkeys.

People shot all the introduced wolves within hours, even though they were protected. And now, we have an open season here on turkeys-and turkeys would appear to have an open season on cyclists.

(Where are you going with this, Mike?)

There's no hope, Alina. Myth will always trump reality. The myth of the Marlborough Man opening up the wilderness is one of the defining aspects of your society. That, coupled with the immense power of the farming and ranching lobbies (corn ethanol, anyone?) makes any real progress extremely difficult.

Education will help. As we say up here, "You can cure ignorant, but you can't cure stupid." You will not be able to reach the ranchers and farmers and hunters-most of them will not listen. You will have to reach their children, and hope by that time it is not too late.

We reach children, not by writing Letters to Nature (although there is nothing wrong with that), but by talking with children. Going into schools, making videos. Anyone on this list who has not talked to a bunch of schoolkids has no right to complain about ecosystem degradation.

Yes, I was talking about corals. And turkeys, two-legged and four.

Mike