[Coral-List] Crazy Ideas to Save Coral Reefs

Quenton Dokken qdokken at gulfmex.org
Wed Sep 5 12:16:42 EDT 2012

Excellent point Judy.  It is time we look into the mirror and accept
individual accountability or least acknowledge that each of us is a part of
the problem.  Not only do we, as scientist and tourist, support the release
of carbon via transportation, but also through supporting the construction
of roads, hotels, and entertainment infrastructure.  In our quest to explore
the tropical reefs of the world we are the market that island developers
target.  We often discuss the impacts of divers in the water, but rarely do
we acknowledge/discuss the impact of divers getting to the dive site and
recreating onshore between dives.   The "out of the water" impacts are just
as devastating if not more so than the "in the water" impacts.

I am not naïve enough to believe that we are going to stop traveling to
exotic and fragile locations.  Hence, our only option is to demand improved
technology that is more environmentally friendly.  Recently, new gas mileage
standards were passed for the U.S.A.  The auto industry has been fighting
against this for decades, but thankfully more far-sighted minds prevailed.
How do we extend this effort to the cruise industry?  How do we get island
governments to consider the impacts of road building and storm water runoff?
Etc.

There are solutions, but they will become the order of the day only if we
can get business side of the impact equation engaged as a leader in the
effort.

Quenton

Quenton R. Dokken, PhD
President/CEO