[Coral-List] ASLO Aquatic Sciences Meeting February 17-22, 2013 - Arabia's Seas

Christian R Voolstra christian.voolstra at kaust.edu.sa
Sun Sep 9 06:07:06 EDT 2012

Dear colleagues,

it is our pleasure to invite you to the conference session "The Role of Arabia's Seas in Projecting Marine Ecosystem Resilience and Adaptation to Global Climate Change" during the ASLO 2013 Aquatic Sciences Meeting, held in New Orleans, Louisiana, February 17 - 22.

We invite papers that discuss and compile recent studies and findings in marine research from the seas surrounding the Arabian Peninsula, i.e. the Red Sea, the Gulf of Oman, and the Persian/Arabian Gulf.

This session is intended to provide a common ground for establishing interdisciplinary connections and developing a synopsis on the physical, chemical, and biological uniqueness of the region, especially in regard to understanding and predicting future climate impacts in marine ecosystems.

The abstract submission deadline is midnight (23:59 US CDT) on Friday, 5 October 2012. In order for scheduling to be completed in a timely manner, all submissions must be received by this date.

Please follow this link for further information and registration:
http://www.aslo.org/meetings/neworleans2013/submittal.html

We are looking forward to welcoming you and are hoping to see many of you!

Best,
Chris and Conny

Christian R Voolstra
Assistant Professor of Marine Science
PI Reef Genomics
Red Sea Research Center
King Abdullah University for Science and Technology (www.kaust.edu.sa)
Web: http://faculty.kaust.edu.sa/sites/christianvoolstra/Pages/home.aspx

SS65: The Role of Arabia’s Seas in Projecting Marine Ecosystem Resilience and Adaptation to Global Climate Change

Conveners: Christian R Voolstra, Red Sea Research Center, KAUST,christian.voolstra at kaust.edu.sa; Cornelia Roder, Red Sea Research Center, KAUST,cornelia.roder at kaust.edu.sa

http://www.aslo.org/meetings/neworleans2013/special_sessions02.html

Our oceans are experiencing change. Elevated greenhouse gasses, resulting in ocean acidification and elevated global temperatures, as well as increasing local impacts, are real and pervasive threats. The biotic response to this change is of concern. For instance, the existence of more than two thirds of coral reefs is jeopardized by anthropogenic activities. However, marine ecosystems are not equally affected around the globe, and physiological conditions are different. While climate change modeling suggests an increase of tropical ocean temperature by 1-3°C by 2099, The Red Sea and the Persian/Arabian Gulf already exist in an environmental extreme, and organisms thrive despite high temperatures and high salinity. Hence, the Arabian Seas form a perfect laboratory to study and understand the impact of climate change on ecosystems as it allows us to look into mechanisms of adaptation that were acquired over the past million years. We invite papers that discuss and compile recent studies and findings in marine research from the seas surrounding the Arabian Peninsula. This session is intended to provide a common ground for establishing interdisciplinary connections and developing a synopsis on the physical, chemical, and biological uniqueness of the region for predicting future climate impacts in marine systems.

This message and its contents, including attachments are intended solely for the original recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify me immediately and delete this message from your computer system. Any unauthorized use or distribution is prohibited. Please consider the environment before printing this email.
--

this email.