[Coral-List] reporting [CO2] to the public

Susan_White at fws.gov Susan_White at fws.gov
Thu Sep 13 15:47:34 EDT 2012

Aloha Bruce-
your good idea reminded me of Deanna Spooner's email signature.  Deanna is
the Coordinator of the Pacific Islands Climate Change Cooperative and at
the bottom of her email she includes CO2 levels measured from Mauna Loa
observatory.  I copied it and (starting now) am including it on my own
email signature.  I agree that people should be aware of the CO2 levels,
and this is one small way to get it out there.
  Data is updated regularly by the Earth System Research Lab at:
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/mlo.html

Susan White
Monuments Superintendent / Refuge Project Leader
Pacific Reefs National Wildlife Refuge Complex
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
email:  susan_white at fws.gov             ph:  808/792-9560
http://www.fws.gov/marinenationalmonuments/

><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>
Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument
     Baker, Howland, Jarvis, Palmyra Atoll, Kingman Reef,
     Johnston Atoll, Wake Atoll National Wildlife Refuges
Rose Atoll Marine National Monument
     Rose Atoll National Wildlife Refuge
Marianas Trench Marine National Monument
     Marianas Arc of Fire, Mariana Trench National Wildlife Refuges
><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>

CO2 measurement from the Mauna Loa observatory as of August 2012: 392.41
ppm (August 2011 was 390.08 ppm)

BRUCE CARLSON <exallias2 at gmail.com>
Sent by: coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
09/13/2012 09:07 AM

coral list <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>
cc

Subject
[Coral-List] reporting [CO2] to the public

Just a thought to toss out to everyone:  If a goal is to reduce
atmospheric CO2, and if this ultimately requires participation of
absolutely everyone, shouldn't everyone know what the concentration of CO2
is on a regular basis so we can all see how it is changing?

We in the science community all know how [CO2] is tracking over time, but
how about the general public? If they can't see it or smell it, and if
they don't read science reports, they can easily dismiss it as a
non-existent problem.  Why shouldn't we, i.e., the science community, push
to get TV weather reporters to routinely include a mention of global
atmospheric CO2 concentration?  To go a step further, since NBC in the
U.S. seems to be a leader in reporting changing weather trends in the
daily news, why not get them to include CO2 tracking, perhaps on the
Weather Channel, if not on the Nightly News? Maybe if the public starts to
see how CO2 is changing over the long-run it will begin to sink in,
especially as they/we all start correlating rising CO2 with the extreme
changes in weather patterns.

Stock market data and trends are presented everyday to everyone
everywhere.  Why not do the same with CO2 and let people see the data for
themselves?

Bruce Carlson
Honolulu