[Coral-List] Publicizing coral demise: Have Pics, Will Travel

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Tue Sep 18 08:51:59 EDT 2012

David:

This is a very compelling approach. One need only look at "the Snows or
Kilimanjaro" to see how significant the situation is.

Our monitoring generates graphs and statistics, but if you show these kinds
of photo pairs to a congressman, they will be much more effective in
directing policy than our efforts at quantification. I believe that one
pair is not the same coral. Your photos of Dry Rocks appear to be Diploria
on the left and Siderastrea on the right. To head off a lengthy thread over
specifics, I'm a geologist so my coral IDs might be off, but they are
definitely different species. Nevertheless, thanks for sharing these with
us and reminding us that a picture is worth a thousand words..... and if
it's policy change we want, perhaps a hundred graphs.

Dennis