[Coral-List] Lobbying and the Majuro petition

Jim Hendee jim.hendee at noaa.gov
Sun Sep 23 11:39:26 EDT 2012

Greetings Coral-Listers,

The exact wording regarding a petition is found on the Coral-List
information page, and comes from a Department of Commerce law:

    *Lobbying Prohibited.* Internet services (such as e-mail list
    subscription services) of Department of Commerce organizations shall
    not be used for direct or indirect lobbying or posting of links to
    Web pages that engage in such activities. Direct lobbying is defined
    as encouraging members of the public to contact Congress to support
    or oppose any pending legislation. Indirect lobbying would be
    posting links to any Web page that engages in lobbying or encourages
    such activity, or that engages in lobbying or posting links directly
    to any page that does.

Here is the Coral-List information page:

Note that "lobbying" refers to contacting Congress, and indirect
lobbying refers to redirecting to a Web page that has a link to a
petition to Congress.  You can see that the law pertains to Congress,
not to any other part of the U.S. Government, so far as I can see.

  Cheers, Jim