[Coral-List] fluorescence

Charles Mazel mazel at psicorp.com
Wed Apr 3 08:20:44 EDT 2013

Dear Barbara,

Ultraviolet can indeed excite fluorescence in corals, and in fact ultraviolet has been used in displays at aquaria for decades. Examples are aquaria in Noumea, New Caledonia, where Dr. Rene Catala did pioneering work in coral fluorescence in the 1950's, and in in St. Thomas. VI. Blue light has largely supplanted ultraviolet for most marine work since blue has been found to cause more subjects to fluoresce, and more intensely, than ultraviolet. Mystic Aquarium in Connecticut has a fluorescence display using blue light, with a yellow sliding panel in front of the glass. The lights over the tank alternate between white and blue so that the viewer can see the difference, and can slide the yellow filter in place to see the enhanced effect of removing the reflected blue light.

Feel free to contact me off the list if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,

Charlie

Charles Mazel
Physical Sciences Inc.