[Coral-List] Request for a student

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Thu Apr 4 13:07:48 EDT 2013

I have an undergraduate student (double major bio-geo) who is interested in
fisheries. He is putting together a proposal to examine the role that local
traditions play (or don't) in the fisheries management practices of Tonga,
Samoa and Maori (or other spots in the region). Might anyone have any
recommendations on where he might start to look for information? Or even
better, might anyone have contacts (NGO, management agency; tribal leaders)
he could use to see whether what he is thinking about might be practical
(he wants to actually spend time living and working with the local
communities and fishers in these places)? Given all the back-and-forth
about about social versus natural versus hard versus soft science, I sense
that there are many folks lurking on the list who would be able to help
someone get started doing what we've been talking about . This is for a
Watson Fellowship that would occur after his senior year (a year from now).
He's a very bright and diligent student.... still with the idealism that's
been beaten out of most of us.

Feel free to contact me off-line.... and thanks!

Dennis

--
Dennis Hubbard
Dept of Geology-Oberlin College Oberlin OH 44074

* "When you get on the wrong train.... every stop is the wrong stop"*
 Benjamin Stein: "*Ludes, A Ballad of the Drug and the Dream*"