[Coral-List] What agency should list corals

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Fri Apr 5 11:24:39 EDT 2013

I agree with everything Quenton Dokken says. How can we not all agree
with what he says? However, none of what he has pointed out explains how
listing corals will save them because we simply do not understand what
is killing them. We do know periods of coral demise have happened in the
not to distant past. It is unlikely humans could have been responsible
back then. That is not to say humans are not doing something to day that
is causing demise. The problem is we just do not know what it is so we
do not know what to protect them from.Giving money to tax free Non
Government Organization may make us feel good, especially the rich who
need tax breaks, but their legal means of forcing government agencies to
list corals under the Endangered Species Act will not solve the problem
if we do not know what the problems are. In fact, listing makes it even
more difficult (e.g.permitting) to do the science needed to determine
the problem.If we were dealing with fish being over fished then we know
what to do. Simply use the ESA to stop overfishing.In the case of corals
where disease is the main problem listing will not bring them back until
we have the science that pinpoints the source of the disease. If we knew
that we would know what to do. Sociology, which may manage human
behavior, certainly will not bring the corals back with out scientific
knowledge to guide social change.Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor