[Coral-List] BP Crude Oil Found in Heterotrophic Corals

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Sun Apr 14 16:10:39 EDT 2013

Thanks Steve for painstakingly distinguishing the fine points separating
introduced from invasive species. Welcome to the Global Economy. In
south Florida we live surrounded by "introduced" and so-called invasive
species. They include everything from potatoes to coconut palms and more
recently, Iguanas and Pythons that will likely be here until the next
ice age. I suggest we spend too much time and money worrying about them
once they are here. We can't get red of them. I expect that someday
diving tourist will pay money to see rocks covered by colorful
/Tubastraea/ coral species. More than 20 years ago I chastised a local
news writer for publishing an article on the plight of coral reefs. The
article featured a colorful underwater photo of what a reef should look
like. There was not a living coral in the photo! Beauty is in the eye of
the beholder.

Since you mentioned the poster-child cattle egret as an invasive I
remind readers that in 1988, African locusts made it to the new world in
a cloud of African dust and African species of orchids have popped up in
backyards while tiny citrus leaf minors and citrus cancer appears in the
tracks of hurricanes originating in the Cape Verde islands. We all know
the phrase, "Red sky in the morning sailor take warning."

The saying stems from the red African dust transported ahead of Cape
Verde hurricanes.

At least once a year a new species of some tiny sap-sucking bug
indigenous to Africa invades south Florida. Place a little of the dust
in a glass of water and soon you will see invasive Rotifers swimming
around. But of course the largest number of invasives are the microbes.
USGS microbiologists cultured and identified as many as 200 species of
microbes before funds were diverted elsewhere and more recent genomic
methods show the dust contains thousands. Yes we and the corals live in
a global economy and invasive /Homo sapiens/ thrive on down grading the
more recent arrivals. Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor