[Coral-List] Coral species presence/absence and abundance datasets for the GBR

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 18:28:59 EDT 2013

Take a look in Veron (1993) A biogeographic database of hermatypic corals:
species of the central Indo-Pacific, genera of the world.  Australian Inst
Mar Sci Monogr Ser X: 433 pp.  It has 3 tables of where individual coral
species had been found.  The first presents which species had been found in
which areas of the east coast of Australia including southern New Guinea to
South Australia, the second covers the west coast of Australia, and the
third covers Japan and the Philippines.  For the GBR, it is divided into
the Coral Sea, Torres Strait, Northern GBR, Central GBR, Pompey and Swain
Reefs, and Capricorn and Bunker reefs.  It is of course a bit dated by now,
but is the best available for locations within the GBR at this point, I
believe.  It does not include species discovered or recognized since 1993,
of course.  Veron is working on a new database that will be on the web I
believe, which he calls "Coral Geographic."  I assume it will have detailed
geographic info on corals from all over the world.  I believe he is close
to having it finished and being able to release it.
     Cheers,  Doug

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Scott Atkinson <scabecks at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of any available coral species presence/absence or
> abundance datasets across the GBR? Species of particular interest are
> *Hydnophora
> exesa, **Seriatopora hystrix, **Acropora formosa, *and *Porites lutea;
> *however,
> any level of classification would be welcomed.
>
> Many thanks for any help!
> Scott Atkinson

PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

The views expressed are those of the author alone.