[Coral-List] Lion fish question

BRUCE CARLSON exallias2 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 12:57:30 EDT 2013

Steve,

I do not have answers to your questions, but I do want to point out that population control of reef fishes can occur at any stage in the life cycle.  In fact, it's entirely possible that predation on lionfish eggs or larval lionfish is more effective at controlling the population than predation on adults.  You might expand your question to ask whether or not there are differences in species that feed on fish eggs and larvae between Atlantic and Indo-Pacific reefs.

A single female lionfish can produce millions of eggs in her lifetime.  Even a small change in the percentage of eggs and larvae that survive predation can have a huge effect later on adult numbers.

My point, again, is that attention needs to be focused on all aspects of the life cycle when it comes to population control.

Bruce

BRUCE CARLSON
exallias2 at gmail.com
BCarlson at GeorgiaAquarium.org